Tuesday 1 November 2011

Featured Artist: Joanne Hawker





1. Hello there! Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Hello there! My name is Joanne and I am a graduate of the University of Wales Institute Cardiff currently living in a little corner in South Somerset. I am a passionate graphic designer, illustrator, blogger and avid tea maker. I love nothing more than a good piece of design, a brew in hand and watching the little birds from my window.  I particularly enjoy working with pattern, design for print, and packaging, but to be honest I’ll have a go at everything! Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am completely obsessed with woodland creatures, especially Owls, Foxes and Deers…

2. What are you currently working on right now?
What am I working on? * Glances up at the massive to do list on my white board * I am working on a few things at the moment! I have just put together a children’s book for the International Bee Research Association so that should be available for Christmas. I’ve just finished my Christmas Cards which should appear in my etsy shop in the next week or two and now I’m about to start something, which I don’t think I can talk about just yet! There’s also a lot of doodling in between.

3. Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Hopefully in 10 years time I will have a little place of my own in Bristol with either a more permanent design job or my own little company of some variety. The latter would be wonderful but that’s only in my mind at the moment and hasn’t made it into reality just yet, but one day hopefully.

4. What drew you to illustration?
Well I originally did a degree in Graphic Communication so I can blur the boundaries between design and illustration really quite easily. I guess I’m drawn to the more illustrative side of design because I just love to draw and make things. It’s also an easy way to express yourself and empty your mind of all its clutter and ideas.

5. Would you mind sharing a little about your creative process with us?
Everything I do starts as a quick doodle in my doodle book. I then draw that up neatly by hand and then scan it in. I will then take it into Photoshop or Illustrator and start editing, colouring and layering up different elements where I see fit. Pretty simple really! I want to try and experiment with different types of processes but at the moment that’s quite far down my to do list.

6. Where are you located?
In a little corner of South Somerset.





Portfolio: www.joannehawker.co.uk
Blog: www.origamichicken.com
Society6: www.society6.com/joannehawker
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/joannehawker
Etsy Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/joannehawker

No comments:

Post a Comment