Thursday 3 November 2011

Featured Artist Issue 1: Megan Frauenhoffer









What couldn't you live without?

My laptop. I don't think I could work without Adobe programs, my music and a regular feed of inspiration from artists all over the world.

How do you create your images?

I work off of sketches mostly. Sometimes I use photoshop to plan my images out. Since I consider myself a printmaking artist, I rely on a lot of indirect processes to create my images such as silkscreen or block printing. However, I can't help myself when it comes to adding personal touches into the final art. I often draw or paint on top of the prints or cut up and collage the pieces into something new altogether.

Do you have a studio?

Yes, it's small, but it does the job. My goal is to build my own little silkscreen/printshop set up so I can start printing at home.

Do you have a shop? (include links)

Yes, I sell through Etsy, Big Cartel, and Society6. They can all be found on this link (http://meganfrau.com/blog/store)

What's your typical working day?

I go to my day job of teaching kids art. Then I take a few hours to transition from that job until I'm feeling refreshed again, which usually involves wasting time on the internet or watching tv. By the time it's dark outside, I usually slip into my studio and work until I'm sleepy.

Twitter or Facebook? (include links)

Both, although my twitter acts more as feed for my facebook fanpage and tumblr blog. I trying to tweet more since I can text with my phone to twitter.

http://www.twitter.com/meganfrau
http://facebook.com/megan.frauenhoffer

Are you a tea or coffee person?

Coffee. I'm not  against tea, I just prefer the caffeine buzz that coffee gives me. I'll drink a fruity tea when I want to relax.

Do you prefer traditional or digital work?

I work with both, but I have a bias towards traditional media. It's more exciting to see in person. Digital prints are always a little bit of a let down in comparison, but they beat out in price. Whenever I want to acquire a new artwork, I try to collect traditional work. I tend to collect small drawings, watercolor paintings, and printmaking pieces since those are in my price range.

Where do you get inspiration from?

Lately, my inspiration draws from literary sources than visual. I've been reading gothic horror novels and fables, which give me plenty of ideas for imagery or mood. I also collect ideas whenever I rework my bad prints into collage material. I am able to see my images in a way that I would not have dream up in the sketch process.

What do you do when creative block strikes?

Normally I don't have a creative block because I work on such a limited schedule for my studio projects. I'm usually itching to start 10 ideas but only have time for 2-3 drawings. Last year was different because I finished school and was completely burned off of art. I spent the year marketing, working on my website, reading, going to and participating in exhibitions, and writing ideas into my sketchbook. So much work with being an artist doesn't involve the actual art making, it would be stupid to waste time moping about lack of ideas. Put that time to good use!

Why did you become an illustrator?

I don't separate the illustrator and artist roles in my life. Usually, I take on more commercial illustration projects because the project aligns itself towards my own work. I'm not sure I could be a full time illustrator unless it was a graphic novel or children's book I put together or collaborated with another artist or writer.

What projects are you currently working on that we should keep our eyes peeled for?

Working on artwork that will incorporate found materials and a return to relief printing. I'm going to tap into printmaking more and attempt a collograph for the project. I'll be sure to post the progress on my blog.

If you could have any pet, what would it be?

I'll go mythological with this question and say a kitsune, although they probably wouldn't want to be kept as pets. It would be pretty awesome though if they did exist.

What would you like to do more of in the future?

Travel to interesting sites around the world. Growing up in middle America gets a little boring and I want to see something different and unfamiliar.

You are walking along the road and stub your toe on something, it turns out to be a magic lantern with a genie inside. He grants you one wish. What is it?

I think reading Goosebumps novels as a kid makes me distrustful of wish granting genies. The wishes granted would probably turn for the worse and it would be better to not ask.



Check out Megan here as well:  

1 comment:

  1. I just love this kind of arts. It's all about interpretations of its colors.

    ReplyDelete