Thursday 17 November 2011

Featured Artist Issue 1: Fiona Purves







What couldn’t you live without?
Payne’s Grey acrylic ink

How do you create your images?
Lots of sketching/thinking then drawing on bigger bits of paper, scanning in and tidying up and/or rearranging in Photoshop.

Do you have a studio?
Nope, I work at my desk in my bedroom!

Do you have a shop?
Yes, I have an etsy shop – http://etsy.com/shop/fionapurves

What’s your typical working day? When I have a day off from my day job which I spend doing illustration, I will spend a while faffing on the internet looking at pretty stuff, then I will devise a to do list, or consult my latest one, and get on with doing what I need to be doing (but often will find other things to do!) for the whole day, with lots of breaks for tea and cakes.

Twitter or Facebook?
I use both (www.twitter.com/fiona_purves and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiona-Purves-Illustration/132014383544056?sk=info) but prefer Twitter.

Are you a tea or coffee person?
Tea!

Do you prefer traditional or digital work?
Traditional

Where do you get inspiration from?
All over the place! I find a lot of inspiration in my daily surroundings, as they look different everyday and I always notice different details, colours and characters.

What do you do when creative block strikes?
Try to re-inspire myself by looking at blogs, websites and books. I will go through a phase of being negative but once I have this out of my system I try to start from fresh and draw new things I wouldn’t draw normally.

Why did you become an illustrator?
I find illustration fascinating, and there are always new things to explore and develop.

What projects are you currently working on that we should keep
our eyes peeled for?
I’m working on quite a big personal project based on cities and maps.
If you could have any pet, what would it be? I would love to have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and I’d also like a Tortoise and a Guinea Pig...

What would you like to do more of in the future?
I really want to learn how to take good photographs.

You are walking along the road and stub your toe on something, it turns out to be a magic lantern with a genie inside. He grants you one wish.
What is it?
To be able to visit the Galapogos Islands.

You can see more of Fiona and her work here: 

Facebook
Etsy 

No comments:

Post a Comment