Friday 25 November 2011

Featured Artist Issue 1: Catherine Pape






What couldn’t you live without?
Music to listen to, nice people to dance and go for walks with.

How do you create your images?
Usually they begin with pencil, and then any combination of ink, watercolours, coloured pencils and computer.

Do you have a studio?
I have a bedroom. It's a nice bedroom though. I use the illustration studios at my university as well.

Do you have a shop? (Please include link information)
Not yet!

What’s your typical working day?
It's different all the time. Often I work at uni during the day, and at my desk at home in the evening. But a lot of the time, depending on the project, I go outside and draw from life in interesting places.

Twitter or Facebook? (Please include link information)
twitter: @catherinedraws
my portfolio and blog are at www.keepthisillustration.com.

Are you a tea or coffee person?
Tea, all the way!

Do you prefer traditional or digital work?
I like it when traditional and digital work can combine to create something amazing, but nothing beats going to a gallery and seeing painstakingly handcrafted artwork in real life.

Where do you get inspiration from?
Nature, the wilderness, textile patterns, early morning mist, motorways, psychedelia, in-between places, the night sky.

What do you do when creative block strikes?
I play the piano - using a different kind of creativity helps.

Why did you become an illustrator?
I'm still a student, but I always wanted to be an artist. I couldn't really imagine anything I'd rather do than draw and paint, creating images for a living.

What projects are you currently working on that we should keep
our eyes peeled for?
I'm working on a book – it's based on a song from my band – it's called Flora.

If you could have any pet,what would it be?
A pug and a kitten.

What would you like to do more of in the future?
More painting – branching out from watercolours into other media. Waking up earlier. Swimming in the sea.

You are walking along the road and stub your toe on something,
it turns out to be a magic lantern with a genie inside. He grants you one wish.
What is it?
So hard to decide! Either a flying bike, the ability to sing like a whale, or an instant camera that never runs out of film. 


See more of Catherine here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment